Thursday, 18 February 2016

Day 3 at TED live stream



Yesterday I spent all morning at the Kits library watching the TED livestream. The room was much darker than previous days, I suppose because of the dreadful weather, and in any event some of the talks were more tech demonstrations - such as the one demonstrating the capabilities of drones.

One of the most useful I think was the introduction to the Google Cultural Institute but you do not need to read my clumsy notes of what Amit Sood said. Click on that link and try it for yourself. But allow lots of time: you will get sucked in, and the resource is enormous.

It does link up two things in a useful serendipity. While I was waiting for a TED session to start I was sitting in the library and my eye was caught by the spine of a huge book which shouted VAN GOGH The Life at me. Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith produced the definitive biography - nearly a thousand pages published in 2011 but somehow I didn't notice that at the time.  I haven't got far with it yet but I will, and will also pass on the fact that there are no notes in the text. The are all on line with much more - so with the book, the website and the GCI I am going to be a bit occupied. As well as the increasing pace of the effort to fight the replacement of the Massey Tunnel.

But first I will record my impression of the opening session yesterday which started with Linus Torvalds the man responsible for Linux, Android and GIT. It was not a talk but rather an interview with Chris Anderson to encourage him to talk about himself and his work. Which he does alone, at home and mostly in his bathrobe. A bit like me though the picture showed him at a standing desk, which he said he no longer uses. From the age of 11 until he was 21 he worked alone. He wrote software - code - and developed things that he wanted to use. Like a new operating system that would be Open Source - not that he knew about that when he started - and take over much of the web. He was introduced to Open Source by a colleague, and simply offered up Linux so that people could comment. It was the first time in his life that other people gave him ideas - not code. He developed GIT as a management system for software development as the number of people offering ideas and code became unmanageable by other means.

"Every project is something I needed so as not to have to work with too many people."

He said he was "myopic" towards the needs of other people. He said that his sister describes his main quality as being stubborn. But listening to him the word that came into my mind was perseverance. But with the stress on the second syllable as used by a child psychiatrist describing the behaviour of my son. He gave him a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome. Not something I was especially pleased about but it was a great deal better than his teacher telling me he had ADD - which is quite unfounded. And there is no prescription medication for Aspergers.

"I am not a visionary. I am an engineer. There is no moonshot - I fix the pothole."

He likened himself to Edison as opposed to Tesla.

"Code either works or it doesn't."

Open Source is now becoming not just central to code but to science in general.

At one time, I used Linux (Ubuntu) to make an old PC run better. But after a while I realized that I was spending way more time doing computery than the things I am really interested in. So I switched to Mac, so I did not need to use the command line anymore. But I did get the first Android tablet and have an Android phone.

He did say that he would be useless at designing a User Interface. So there must be someone else to blame for one of the reasons that I gave up on Ubuntu.

I am not going to try to summarize Girls Who Code, the AI X prize, of what the copy editor of the New Yorker told us. I could not possibly do justice to the man who uses code to make art, or talk about the TED Radio Hour on NPR anymore than I would feel comfortable talking on behalf of Dalia Mogahed who explained what life is like now being an Islamic woman in America.



There was a whole bunch of stuff later about the importance of connectivity which made the best use so far of visual aids but seemed to me to to banal and obvious - "political geography is less important than functional geography". Well, duh!

Thank you to the larger number than usual readers. I am not going to TED today or tomorrow. As I said to the people at the library, life does get in the way. Which may well explain the low attendance at this livestream. You can of course read Lisa Johnson's professional summary of what Al Gore said last night.  TED has also blogged that too. Indeed I think you should, just as you should keep an eye on the TED channels to see which of the talks this year get broadcast. But this blog will be silent on the topic for a while, I think, just because TED does a pretty good job of spreading this stuff around already.  Later that day Al Gore spoke on why he thinks we can beat climate change.



No comments: