Sunday, 15 February 2015

The Backstage Lounge, Granville Island

Generally speaking I do not post bad reviews. There are times however when a warning is necessary.

Another axiom I live by is that once is chance, twice is coincidence but three times is ... insert favorite phrase here. Incompetence probably covers it this time: though the original is "enemy action".

I would like to be able to support The Arts Club. We are long time season ticket holders. We go to the theatres as often as as there is something we feel maybe worth seeing, and are not often disappointed.  In the same spirit we have been patronising the Back Stage Lounge which is the bar behind the Granville Island mainstage. There is a lot of competition for eating places nearby - and not one but two breweries.

I saddens me to report that on the last three occasions we have eaten here, we have regretted the choice. They did have a real problem with a kitchen fire that severely restricted their abilities. It took a while for that to be rectified, and we made allowances. But sadly even though the kitchen equipment is now working well, there is not a basic skill level to produce good food reliably. Of course, if you choose the raw veggies and humus, there is not a lot that can go wrong. Though the lettuce at the centre of the plate - presumably for decoration - was distinctly limp. But the Oklahoma Flatbread was almost uneatable. It seemed to be based on a frozen pizza crust - the texture being closer to a biscuit than bread. It is also very hard to understand how pulled pork can be tough - but somehow they managed that too. There was also melted cheese and too much barbecue sauce - straight from the bottle. It was a mess both to look at and to try and eat. It was very nearly cold when served. The menu claimed that there were caramelised onions - which seemed to have been deep fried.

The server did ask me what I thought, and I told her frankly that I was disappointed and why. A 50% discount was applied to that item on the bill. I left half of it uneaten, after all. I am afraid that also had the effect of reducing her tip, based on 15% of the total.

There was a long list of draft beers, but the one I wanted was not available. I was at least offered a taste of the proffered alternate, which was a bitter rather than an IPA. I did find something else.  However now that I look at the bill again I see that I was charged for the beer that was not available: so we paid for three beers but only consumed two.

We also established that the size of a "sleeve" could vary between 14 and 16 fl oz depending on the beer and the glass provided by the brewery. Some brewers take much greater care about how their beer is served than others. I doubt this bartender had actually paid a lot of attention, judging by how he served Stella Artois - not a beer I am prepared to pay that much for, but plenty of others were.



The next time you are at Granville Island and want a beer and a simple meal, I suggest you go to one of the other places - definitely not the Backstage Lounge.

No comments: