Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Product endorsement: Reactine

I bought these products with my own money. No-one gave them to me and no-one is paying me to write this.

I have seasonal allergies. This year I started allergy season with Reactine and have been coping well. Until that first pack was used and I had to replace it. I went to a supermarket and bought their own brand of antihistamine. It simply did not work. Neither of these medications requires a prescription in Canada.

Today I took a Reactine tablet and within twenty minutes I was symptom free again. It says on the box "can start to work in 20 minutes and lasts 24 hours" - and that is certainly my experience. YMMV

Reactine is 10mg Cetirizine Hydrochloride. The store brand allergy remedy I bought was 10mg Loratidine - and that is what I have been buying in the past. I bought it simply because generic medication is often the same as brand name and usually cheaper. For instance Aspirin is Bayer's brand name but their product is always more expensive than the identical generic acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) . I do not know if any store sells generic cetirizine.

In the past I have out up with the less than satisfactory performance of loratidine. After all it was - it seemed - better than nothing and I thought was probably as good as it gets. Not so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cetirzine hydrochloride (reactine) is available as a generic in Canada. My wife takes these often.

Even generic is expensive here - recall has them on sale for $20 for 48 right now, or 41c each.

Down in the us, my wife stocks up on the generic in target or walmart at the regular price of $30 for 180, or about 16c each.

Not sure why the huge price difference...but anyways, it's available as generic, just be sure to look at the medicinal ingredients on the pack, and not the brand.