Thursday, 15 March 2012

TED talks on Netflix

I am a recent convert to Netflix. Initially I was not sure that I would want to watch movies on a MacBookPro. I do not have the sort of TV that can be connected to the internet, though I am aware of people who manage to watch netflix on their theirs using BlueRay players. They have much more modern TVs than I do.

I had been using zip.ca who sent me DVDs in the mail from a zip list, that I had increasing difficulty topping up after a while. It was impossible to tell when the movies I had asked to see would arrive, and every so often when they did I had already seen them by other means. So far Netflix has been pretty good at finding me the movies I want to see, when I want to see them. They do not always have some of the older pictures I have been looking for.

But I must say that the ease and convenience of getting a movie has more than overcome the small disadvantages of a relatively small screen (15") and tiny speakers.

When using services like Stumbleupon or Very Short List, I have been impressed by TED talks, and I have even embedded one into my other blog. So you can count me a fan of TED. Of course, there is no way I would ever be able to get to see a TED talk live. But today I got a Press Release, which I am copying below, which says that as a Netflix member I get access to TED talks. Quite how this is an advantage over simply going to the TED web page and getting the talk from there it does not say.

Beverly Hills, Calif., March 15, 2012 – Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) today announced the availability of the first group of fourteen themed TEDTalks Shows for Netflix streaming members in the US, Canada, Latin America, UK and Ireland.



TED is a nonprofit organization that showcases “ideas worth spreading” in technology, entertainment and design. The world-renowned TED brings together remarkable minds – leading thinkers, adventurers, artists, performers, icons and educators – to give riveting talks on various topics – all in 18 minutes or less. Each year, the TED Conference in Long Beach, CA and TEDGlobal Conference in Edinburgh, Scotland invites a who’s who of the world to deliver signature “TEDTalks” – lectures on a single idea to help grow awareness around amazing ideas or concepts. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Al Gore, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende, James Cameron and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. Over 1,000 talks have occurred.

Each TEDTalks Show on Netflix is uniquely packaged with curated talks that introduce Netflix members to powerful ideas that can help make the world a better place.

“We are excited to be bringing this initial TEDTalks offering to our global streaming member community and look forward to a continued relationship with TED,” said Lisa Nishimura, Vice President of Independent Film Content Acquisition.

"TED is delighted to offer Netflix subscribers these jumping-off points for exploring the world of ideas: astonishing inventions, fresh approaches to old problems, new ways to stir the imagination,” said June Cohen, Executive Producer of TED Media.

The initial offering of TEDTalks Shows on Netflix are grouped around these areas of interest:

· Beasts, Bugs & Bio-wilderment

· Beauty & Fashion: Beneath the Skin Deep

· Building Wonder

· Chew On This

· Crime & Punishment

· Cyber Awe

No comments: