Wednesday, 14 September 2011

Targetted ad misses




The screenshot above was taken from my computer this morning. It appeared at the top of the Guardian's web page - but you won't see it if you click the link. You will see something else. You will get to an article which talks about what the Guardian hoped to achieve. The ad gets inserted into a space and is supposed to reflect who you are, where you live and what you buy. It is the technology that has made companies like Google extremely wealthy. These ads are actually from Rogers Digital Media (I know that since a banner from them replaced the one above). I do not know what technology Rogers is using, but it is not very good at doing its job. I have complained about this before when, having bought a cruise holiday, I then got bombarded by ads for Celebrity cruises - at the time before I had had the cruise but when my willingness to buy another one was at its lowest.

I hate the big banks. RBC is no better or worse than any of them. But mostly my french is nothing like as good as it was when I was 14 years old. And Google translate means I no longer worry about that. Ads I usually ignore anyway - ads in french are no worse than ads on tv with the sound muted (as long as the tv does not automatically insert subtitles when you hit the mute button). Anyway the Guardian got a bit of revenue for my page view and the RBC got screwed so that's alright, isn't it?

..

No comments: