Monday, 1 September 2008

POLICE SEIZE EARTH EDUCATION TOUR BUS

In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

Martin Niemöller

The good Pastor explains why a Canadian in BC is concerned about the behaviour of a bunch of police officers in Minneapolis - which just happens to be the place where the Republican convention is happening.

Similar overreaction to perceived "threats" also marred the Democrats convention. Mostly all this does is confirm our worst suspicions about what has happened to the "Land of the Free" in the last eight years. Try telling someone that "In God We Trust" is a useful guide to behaviour is a supposedly free and democratic society, when you are apparently not allowed to travel by bus to teach about permaculture near where an unpopular President may or may not be speaking.

No comments: