Tuesday, 22 January 2008

Shirley Valentine

I notice that this play is being put on at the Gateway (Jan 31 - Feb 16)

Nothing very remarkable about that. But is is "copresented by Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad". I cannot for the life of me think why. This is a safe commercial venture. One woman shows are, after all, cheap. Not only that but a nice safe comedy, been around for years, but not done here in recent memory. So will appeal to the baby boomers as a nice bit of nostalgia.

Aren't "cultural olympiads" supposed to be a bit more adventurous than that? Shouldn't it feature a new work with some local reference - or maybe broaden our world view with insights into other cultures not normally seen on the commercial stage?

There's nothing wrong with the play - or the performer so far as I know. Indeed, I might even be tempted to go. But what I want to know is what the Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad thinks it is for.

No comments: