Tuesday, 11 December 2007

My boss is incompetent, what can I do?

Q I work in a public sector organisation, and the senior staff in my department have all been there for 30 years or more. People have been promoted on longevity rather than merit
I should not be doing this. I should be over it by now. But reading this cri de coeur and the response reawakened all the old issues.

The advice of course is get another job - but what is not said is how you explain why you want another job and what kind of reference will you get from your incompetent bosses. In organisations like this - and there are plenty of them - blame always trickles down but all praise gets trapped at the top. The boss takes credit for your successes and you take the blame for his failures.

I wish I had a better solution, since changing jobs can often be quite traumatic on families when relocation is involved. And getting a job in a new city means breaking into a whole new network unless you are widely known and have a strong reputation in your field. Maybe that is where the stimulus comes from for all those conferences and seminars.

Your career is your possession - but don't expect that other people will not try to take it from you if they can

No comments: