Saturday, 30 June 2007

Nearly 40 per cent of Canadians against dual citizenship: poll

only a quarter of Canadians in the 18 to 34 age range were against the concept, compared to 50 per cent of Canadians aged 55 and older.


So to those Canadians of my age who object to my dual citizenship I say "thrrrrp"

I have a British passport because I was born there and I lived there for the first 40 years of my life.

I took Canadian citizenship because I was tired of paying Canadian taxes and having no say how they were spent. For as long as I can remember I have been a political animal, and I did not like being disenfranchised. By the way, I have now been here so long, I no longer have a vote in Britain. However, as far as I know it is not possible to renounce British citizenship, nor do the Canadians currently say I should. So I shan't, and if they insist, I will seriously think of going home again.

I was also spending a lot of time abroad earning money for Canadian companies and helping the Canadian balance of payments stay healthy. But if anything happened to me abroad, the Canadians would not have come to my aid. And when you go to places like Iran, that can be a bit of a disturbing thought. They looked very oddly at my UK passport when I got to Tehran airport.

This is of course a knee jerk response to the bungled Lebanon evacuation. So much for Canadians much vaunted sense of compassion for their fellow human beings.

A similar attitude seems to be infecting "Canada's new government" which, I heard on CBC this morning, is considering reducing its aid budget even further - under the guise of concentrating on our neighborhood - i.e. abandoning some of the poorest and most desperate countries in the world in Africa, where we haven't made much difference, for Central and South America. After all, we have been so successful in Haiti, haven't we?

No comments: