Wednesday, 13 June 2007

Another good reason to switch to Linux

Windows users are being urged to install the June package of security patches from Microsoft.


This story comes from the Beeb . The patch should have downloaded automatically yesterday if you use Windows. Most of the time I now use Ubuntu, but since I still have Windows on this machine, I do make sure it is kept up to date. Except yesterday, the automatic downloading went wrong. Several times. I kept getting a message telling me that one of the patches had failed to install itself. And then it did it again, and again ...

The patch was huge. Of course, automatic updates don't tell you this, or why it has not installed. You have to figure that out for yourself. The only way to install it, I found, was to uninstall OpenOffice to free up some space on the C: drive (I reinstalled it on D: which has more space)

Ubuntu is free. It is faster than Windows at everything I do, can do nearly everything I want it to. All the software is free too. Loads of it. And you don't need to be a geek. It pretty much looks after itself. And it does not need 200MB of space to make back ups either!

No comments: