Tuesday, 29 May 2007

Aboriginals may be allowed to hunt otters



Larry Pynn, Vancouver Sun
Published: Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Europeans almost hunted these animals to extinction. Now the population has recovered enough that protected species designation is being withdrawn.
The Nuu-Chah-Nulth Council of Hereditary Chiefs also last month "asserted that they have an aboriginal right to harvest sea otters and that they will exercise that right,"

The image comes from Canku Ota (Many Paths) "An Online Newsletter Celebrating Native America" and it may be that it is copyright but I assert my right to steal this image to make a point on my blog. If you start killing and skinning these delightful creatures, you will be as popular as the Newfie sealers. I must confess I found I had very little sympathy with them when they got stuck in the ice recently.

Joe Foy of the Western Canada Wilderness Committee said in Vancouver that while he suspects the Nuu-Chah-Nulth have the right to hunt sea otters, he hopes they choose not to.

Indeed

No comments: